Sunday, September 29, 2013

Welcome October!




It won't be long before the leaves change and it's dark when I drive home.  I love the colors, but I hate the early darkness.  It makes me want to stay in bed and cover up my nose.  But I do enjoy big, cuddly sweaters and fires in the fireplace.  I feel that every time of year brings it's own special gifts. Right now I am grateful the heat has passed and my jeans still fit!!  Have a great week.  Here's what's happening these days in the Smiley Empire :)   

Picture Day - This Tuesday is picture day.  Make sure your student wears his/her smile that day.  Have your student bring his/her order form with them on Tuesday.  

BYOT - I have received some of your BYOT permission slips.  Please send the slip in with your child as soon as possible.  That way I can start planning cool things to do with your child's device.  If you do not want your student to bring his/her device in, please drop me an e-mail.  Then I will know not to expect a slip.  If you were not at Curriculum Night, I have made a tab at the top of my blog, explaining the program and a link to get a permission slip.

Room Parent- Mrs. Haddad will be our head room parent this year and she would like to introduce herself. Here is what she wrote:

Dear Parents of Mrs. Baumann's 3rd Grade Class,

My name is De Haddad and I am very excited to be Room Mom for Mrs. Baumann this year!  My daughter is Alyse Haddad.  

I will be helping coordinate volunteers in the classroom as well volunteer opportunities that can be done at home.  These include three class parties (Fall, Winter and Valentine's Day), Math Explorations, guest readers, supply donations and other needs that arise throughout the year.  I will also be sending a friendly reminder when your special time with your child's class is approaching.


I will be using a simple scheduling website called www.signupgenius.com.  This will allow you to view availability online and plug yourself in to your desired slot.  Again, a VERY user friendly and efficient way of planning.
Because our school is so careful about everyone's privacy, I need to please ask for your e-mail directly.  If you are interested in helping out Mrs. Baumann and her classroom, please send me your e-mail address and I will add it to my distribution list.  I'd appreciate having all e-mail addresses by Wednesday, October 2nd, as we need to start the fun and get organized!

Thanks in advance,

De Haddad, Alyse's mom
ndhaddad@comcast.net 

Reflections - Calling all artists, photographers, dancers, and directors... The PTA Reflections Art Competition is accepting submissions,  The theme for 2013-2014  is 

Believe - Dream - Inspire

Think about of a great idea that fits the theme, create an original work and be recognized!

Entry forms may be found at http://www.illinoispta.org/reflections.html.  May Watts submission are due by Monday, October 7.  There will be a box for student entries located at the front entrance of the school.  If you should have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Amy Toepper, PTA Chairperson.


Family Reading Night- Join us for an evening of
storytelling!  May Watts Family Reading Night  for K-5 students and their parents will be held October 7th from 6:00-7:45. The evening will feature professional story teller Sue Black. Please fill out RSVP by  October 2nd. Your child can ask for a pink reservation slip in class.

Current Events starts Wednesday! Yep! That's right.  The news reports start on Wednesday  I spoke with the students about the expectations and who was reporting this week.  For your convenience, a description of the reports and expectations is on a tab at the top of the blog as well as the schedule through January.  A schedule is also posted in the classroom for the students to check.



May Watts Reads- October 1st starts our school wide reading program.  The expectation for 3rd graders is to read 360 minutes a month at home.  Reading is extremely important as students move up through the grades.  At the top of the blog is a link to the Reading Starts program. Please make it  a routine to read daily and log in your minutes.  It's an important skill and we want to win bragging rights for being the third grade class that reads the most minutes.  If we win-- we get to have the Alien in our room for month. Cool huh?

Book Orders - The September book order had been placed.  Look for the books to arrive in about a week or so.  

Special Talents/Something to Share - If you would like to come to the classroom and give a talk about your job or special talent that would be great.  Also, if you would like to give a brief presentation about a religious holiday or special event in your heritage that would be awesome too!.  Third graders study immigration in Social Studies and communities around the world. Just e-mail me and let me know what you would like to share.  

WOW!  This was  a lot to share!  Thanks for reading and go do something you love--- put a smile on your face and be happy!


"We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have."
~Frederick Keonig~