Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Month to be Thankful


     As I write this entry and think about how busy this time of year is for teacher's with entering data, lesson plans, report cards and conferences,  I try to keep some perspective.  Yes, it's true, I am busy and stressed, but I am also very thankful for the blessings in my life.  I am fortunate that I do not live on the east coast to have to experience the devastation of Hurricane Sandy.  I am thankful for my family and friends. I am grateful that I am healthy and able. I am humbled to be a grandmother and watch my grandson grow and learn.  I am thankful for my job and the wonderful students I get the opportunity to teach everyday.  And I am thankful that I live in America!  As I am teaching your students about the beginning of our country, I am always amazed at the heart and soul of the early Americans.  They faced such unfathomable odds, yet they persevered and fought for freedom.  They fought for the freedom to practice the religion of their choice.  They fought for the right to free speech and to voice their opinions and beliefs. And they fought for the right to own their own land and start a democratic government run by the people.  Amazing!  As we enter this season of celebration and cast our votes for President of the United States, remember to be thankful for all the wonderful things in your life.  It feels good  to be thankful.  The citizenship themes this month are empathy and kindness.  What a wonderful way to spend the month:)

WOW!  There is a lot happening this month in 3BA.  Grab a mug of something and sit a spell!

Book Fair- Mon. - Thurs. Nov. 5-8 - Open until 8:00 pm on conference nights!!
It's a great time to pick-up some gifts or add to your student's book collection.  All profit goes to the LMC to purchase books for our students.  What a great way to help your student develop a joy of reading and help the school!  How cool is that?


  • NO CURRENT EVENTS THIS WEEK DUE TO CONFERENCES
  • NO THURSDAY FOLDERS THIS WEEK DUE TO THE LATE NIGHTS


Parent-Teacher Conferences  
Monday 4:40 -8:00
Tuesday 8:00 - 3:00
Thursday 4:40 - 8:00
Please show up for your scheduled time and be prompt.  All my conferences are back -to-back and all families are entitled to their full 20 minutes.  I try very hard to stick to the schedule.

Wednesday, November 7 - Crazy Hair Day
The students of 3BA are awesome!  They earned another behavior celebration and chose a "Crazy Hair" day.  The students may slick, crimp, tie, curl, stick up, tease, mess- up or braid their hair for the day.  No hair color though and save the hats for a Hat Day celebration.  Wednesday really will be Wacky!

Read-In- Thursday, November 8 
Thursday afternoon we will be having a Read-In.  Students can bring 5 or so books from home, a towel or small blanket to lay on, a special snack and a flashlight.  No pillows or stuffed animals please.

Field Trip - Friday,  November 9
Mrs. Straub and Mrs. Warren will be joining us on our Trip to Oswego East high school to see the Tall Tale Slue Foot Sue.  Remember THERE WILL BE NO HOT LUNCH FRIDAY.  We will be eating early in the classroom before we go.  The students will be hungry when we get back, so make sure to send a healthy snack with your child.  

3BA Talent Show - Thursday,  November 15 
Our next story in reading is called The Talent Show.  It's about a little girl who learns that you need to follow your own heart and do what feels right for you.  In the end, with the help of her dad, she learns that some things are just meant to be enjoyed.  So, in the spirit of enjoyment, the students of 3-BA will be participating in a talent show. A letter will be coming home this week with all the details.

Picture Re-takes  Thursday, November 15 9:15-11:00
If you need to have your child's picture re-taken, please do the following:

1. Call the office to get your child's name on the re-take list
2. Return the complete original packet of photos on the day of re-takes, Nov. 15th.

If your child did not have money with them on the original picture day to purchase photos, forgot to turn in their payment envelope, was absent, or is new to May Watts School (did not get their picture taken), they should also be placed in the re-take list.  All students have their photos taken in order to have them appear in our May Watts yearbook and for their academic file regardless of whether or not you purchased pictures.

If you have any questions, please contact the office at 428-6700

Diversity Week - November 12-16 
Parents are encouraged to come and speak to the class about the special holidays of your culture.  It doesn't have to be a holiday that is coming up, it can be any holiday you would like to share and discuss with the students.  They loved listening to Mrs. Badr about Eid.  Contact me via e-mail if you are interested.

Monument Project -
The third graders have been assigned a a national monument or symbol to research with a partner.  It would be a great help if they could get some information from home.  We have some computer lab time, but unfortunately, not enough.  Ask your student what monument or symbol he or she have been assigned and help them gather information.  They are to become an authority on their monument so they can present the information to the class.  Some things they have to find out are
How was it constructed
Why was is constructed (or why was it chosen) ?
Why did we construct something to honor this person or symbol? Why is it important to our country?
What are some interesting facts about it.  
This is their first research project and they need help sifting through the information to find out what's important and what's not.  There are a number of websites to help them on the Third Grade Blog.

Well, that's it for now.  I probably won't blog again before Thanksgiving, so whether or not you celebrate Thanksgiving,  I wish you all some wonderful family time, a fabulous meal, a little football, maybe some shopping :) and a lot of relaxation, love and happiness.