Third Graders were not alive on 9-11 ten years ago when the United States was attacked by terrorists on our own soil, but many of us were. Do you remember where you were and what you were doing? I sure do. My son was having out-patient surgery on his knee. We were in the waiting room when we saw the shocking images on television. I remember thinking, how can the doctor focus on my son when such a tragedy was happening to our country? I also remember giving thanks that Chicago was not the city attacked. Finally, I remember feeling such sorrow for the families who lost loved ones. Where were you? What emotions were you feeling?
We can't change history, but we can remember and learn from it. Sometime today, rejoice in the strength, courage and resilience of the American people. The human spirit is mighty. As we finish our unit on communities, think about our firefighters, police and disaster relief volunteers. People from all over American communities rallied together to help. May the lesson be, no matter what we have to endure ----TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. The people involved in the September 11th attack sure did.
I am looking forward to seeing you on Curriculum Night. Thank you for sending in your "homework" . I have most everyone's and I can't wait to meet the parents!
Our next reading story is called Turtle Bay. Click on the link below for lots of interesting stuff about sea turtles.
Kidz Korner- Sea Turtles
Here is your first blog assignment. Below you will find a list of words. By Sept. 19th, send an e-mail telling me which words are nouns, verbs adjectives. Remember, a noun is a person, place or thing. A verb is an action word and an adjective describes a noun. Just hit reply to the e-mail I sent your parents, cut and paste the list of words, and type the letter n for noun, v for verb and a for adjective next to the word.
Example -
restaurant - n
hiking - v
beautiful -a
Word list :
sandwich
magazine
handsome
walked
pencil
mushroom
purple
mushroom
purple
talking
tiny
Mrs. Baumann
golf
golfing
crispy
magnificent
strolled
strolled
Finally, we will be celebrating Roald Dahl's birthday this week. He has written many wonderful children's books such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Witches, The BFG and James and the Giant Peach to name a few. I will leave you with a quote...
"A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."
— Roald Dahl
— Roald Dahl


