![]() |
| This sayings means that when March starts it's still winter and cold, but when it ends, spring has begun, the weather is warmer and things start to turn green again. |
Hello everyone and welcome to March! I don't know about you, but getting more snow and hearing about single digit temperatures is making me crazy. Forget visions of sugarplums dancing in my head, all I see is palm trees and cloudless blue skies. Brrr! The saying goes, March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb and I am praying that is true for this March. I keep telling myself, just be patient, warmer weather will come. Let's hope it comes sooner than later.
For something a little different, I thought it would be fun to give the students some blog homework this month. The first reason is, there are a few celebrations in March the students should know about. Next, we have also learned about transition words and how to use them. Additionally, we have been studying text features and I have used some right here on the blog. Finally, students can use some computer skills to do this homework. Here is the assignment...
Blog Homework
Students, you need to find the answer to the following questions by watching some videos and reading this month's blog post carefully. Be a text feature detective. Then, e-mail Mrs. Baumann at shelly_baumann@ipsd.org with the answers to the homework by March 15th. Or if you would rather, you may write the answers on a piece of paper and turn it in with your name on it. Here are the questions you need to answer...
1. Mardi Gras is the day before what Christian observance?
2. Why is the celebration called Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday?
3. What 3 colors are the colors of Mardi Gras and what do the colors mean?
4. In what U.S. city does the largest Mardi Gras celebration take place?
5. On what day is St. Patrick's Day celebrated and why?
6. According to Irish history - St. Patrick believed the shamrock represented what?
7. What U. S. City has more Irish people than all of Ireland?
8. What headings do you notice on this post?
9. Where is an example of a caption and what does it say?
10. Make a list of four transition words I used in the second paragraph of this post.
Challenge question: What is the saying I use in class when I talk about doing your personal best? Hint: you can find it somewhere on the blog.
Mardi Gras
Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday will be celebrated this year on Tuesday, March 4th. Click on the link below to find out more details about this celebration.
What is Mardi Gras?
St. Patrick's Day
Children love leprechauns, shamrocks, rainbows and pots of gold. Click on the links below to learn more about the holiday. Then, just for fun, click on the St. Patrick's Day Smiley at the top right of the blog and play some fun St. Patrick's Day games.
St. Patrick's Day Fun Facts
St. Paddy's Day Song
I guess that's it for this month. Remember, by the end of the month spring will have sprung. Thought I would leave you with a little taste of what's ahead. Have a great month :)


