Saturday, December 1, 2012

It's December!



Wow!  It's hard to believe that December is here.  And it's even harder to believe that it's 60 degrees! The elves are starting to sweat :)  This month is a great month for learning in 3-BA.  We will be continuing our author study of Chris Van Allsburg.  Chris is a truly gifted author and illustrator of children's books.  Check out his website on the link below.  The students are really enjoying his books. So far we have read  The Garden of Abdul Gasazi, Just a Dream and Ben's Dream.  This week we will read even more.

At the end of the unit, the students will be watching one of his movies and comparing and contrasting it to the book.  If any of you have a copy Zathura, Jumanji or the Polar Express that the class can borrow for a day, please e-mail.

                         Chris Van Allsburg

May Watts Reads-  11 out of 26 students met their monthly reading goal of 360 minutes.  I hope the students are reading at home.  Practicing reading is like practicing anything else, the more you do it the better you get.  Please encourage your student to log in and record their minutes.  If we read the most minutes in third grade for the month, we get to keep the green alien in our room!

Scholastic Book Orders -  I passed out  Scholastic book order flyers in class on Friday.  In addition to those flyers, you can order from other flyers online.  The book orders are due Friday, Dec. 7th.  Thanks for your support.

I hope you enjoy the blog's December look.  I just love the picture of the horses.  I have added a some winter fun links for the students to explore while they are spending more time indoors.  Before you know it..... it will be the new year!

Happy Holidays