It's hard to believe with all the beautiful weather we have been having, but April showers should be arriving shortly. Hopefully, all the plants and animals are not confused with the unbelievable weather Chicagoland has been experiencing.
This week is the last week before spring break. Spring Break is always exciting because of the promise of warm weather and everyone can feel the magic in the air. Warm weather, bikes, scooters, no coats, outside and the end of the year is just around the corner. It's this time of year when I notice my third graders have gotten taller and seem older. In fact, they are getting ready to fly the coop and move on to fourth grade. We have done a lot of learning this year, but we still have work to do! Little chicks- it's not time just yet. Be patient. We still have 10 weeks of brain building before you are official fourth graders :)
Coming home this week is a packet of both math and reading extended responses. Since official extended response writing is new to third graders, most all of these are considered formative, meaning they were used to guide instruction. We practiced a lot, worked on some together and worked independently with evaluation and discussion afterwards. Writing a good extended response is hard work, especially if you haven't had to do it before. Look over the problems and readings, discuss with your children what they learned. I am very proud of my students. They really worked hard and some even got excited when a new math extended response came along.
I hope everyone will participate in the poll on the blog. I am interested to find out if you find the blog helpful. We do both the third grade blog and individual blogs and both serve a purpose. Let me know your thoughts. I am hoping to make these helpful communication devices. Let me know what you like and any suggestions you have to make it better.
Finally, enjoy the break. We all deserve time. Time to play, time to relax, time to catch-up, time to laugh and time to enjoy whatever our little heart desires. For those of you traveling, savor the journey. For those of you having a stay cation, find your adventure. Most of all, enjoy it! Life is Good.
My husband and I are leaving for Paradise Island on Saturday. We are treating ourselves to a vacation at the Atlantis resort to celebrate our 30th anniversary. I have the suntan lotion ready and 4 fat novels. I can't wait :) Yes indeed, life is good.
A huge congratulations goes to Chris for submitting the best third grade story for the Young Authors Program! There were hoots and hollers all over when Chris's name was announced. Excellent job Chris :) The class can't wait to hear your story.


